Bleach Dynasty RPG Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bored? Want to RP? Come visit TREASURE TOWN !
Want your own scrolling announcement? Buy one! GO HERE FOR MORE INFO
No Signature? No Avatar? Get one now!! CLICKER HERE!!! Free Signature & Avatar for the first 5 Customers!!!

+6
JennyReika
Nance
Zeria Iiyasei
Kambly
Loli Gaga
Dio
10 posters

Recommended Reading

Dio
    Dio
    Empowered soul

BD-cash : 6728

Recommended Reading Empty Recommended Reading

Post by Dio Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:41 pm

haha know it sounds like a sketchy idea but let me start the book club ^^

here you may recommend your favourite book/author/series to everyone or do a brief review.

i would like to start by recommending just about anything written by Raymond.E.Feist

starting with the book magician Feist writes epic fantasy adventures spanning a series that is over 20 books. from war to magic, soldiers to pirates to dragons his series of books are a must.
    the descriptive power of feist will have you entranced for hours as ou follow pug or one of the other fantasically developed characters in the world of midkemia.
    Loli Gaga
    Loli Gaga
    Vizard
    Vizard

8th Division Oyabun
    Ocho Espada

BD-cash : 80597

Recommended Reading Empty Re: Recommended Reading

Post by Loli Gaga Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:46 pm

-topic stickied

nice idea Dio!

-add rep

buwahaha.

recomended reading eh?

hmm...

currenlty reading Soraya-Rune stones book.

wont recomend it though, but its a good source for writing related stories.

^^
    Dio
    Dio
    Empowered soul

Post by Dio Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:52 pm

whats the story about? and when abouts is it set?
    oh and the feist books are set in like a middle ages setting, before guns- still using swords etc.(its given me quite a few great ideas for sparring and such, especially one of the later books talon of the silver hawk)^^
    Loli Gaga
    Loli Gaga
    Vizard
    Vizard

8th Division Oyabun
    Ocho Espada

Post by Loli Gaga Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:56 pm

hmmm, its more on the information side, but it has minis stories in it.

(forgive the lack of vocabulary)

runes runes and runes...

witchcraft stuff.

tarrots..

magic haha.
    Dio
    Dio
    Empowered soul

Post by Dio Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:59 pm

ahh ok ^^ sounds intersting ^^
    its like one of those books thatr explains the arts behind them is it?
    oh and wheres my rep? xD
    Kambly
    Kambly
    Empowered soul

BD-cash : 156729

Post by Kambly Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:22 pm

I would like to recommend Harry Potter.

If, of course, you haven't read it yet.

If you haven't, I'm sorely disappointed.

Currently, I'm reading a book by Alafari Burke called Judgement Calls.

"An apparently simple assault case spirals into a complex web of violence and deception in this bold debut thriller.

Deputy District Attorney Samantha Kincaid walks into her office in Portland's Drug and Vice Division one Monday morning to find three police officers waiting for her. A thirteen-year-old has been brutally attacked and left for dead on the city's outskirts. Given the lack of evidence, most lawyers would settle for an assault charge: Samantha, unnerved by the viciousness of the crime, decides to go for an attempted murder. But as she prepares for the trial, she uncovers a dangerous trail leading to an earlier high-profile death penalty case, a prostitution ring of underaged girls, and a possible serial killer. And she finds her judgement - not only in matters of the law but in her personal life - called into question."

I highly recommend it. ;D
    Zeria Iiyasei
    Zeria Iiyasei
    Rogue Shinigami
    Rogue Shinigami

BD-cash : 6706

Post by Zeria Iiyasei Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:25 pm

I greatly recommend the Dark series by Christine Feehan. I have read all but 3 in the series, and she still has more coming out.

The novels are based in current time, featuring the Carpathian race, and show that vampires are evil. It is basically that, if a carpathian male does not find his lifemate, he turns into a bloodthirsty vampire. Each book features a new carpathian male, and the struggles they go through to court and win the heart of their lifemates, who restore the color and emotion they lose after 200 years. And also the slow solution to the problem of the female carpathian's not being able to carry children, or if they do survive birth, many do not survive the 1st year of life. (I've read the one where they figure out why. :P). XD

But it's an excellent series, and I'm starting on both her Drake Sisters series and her Ghostwalker series, just because her books are so good. ^^
    Nance
    Nance
    8th Division
    8th Division

BD-cash : 80369

Post by Nance Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:02 am

Books books books!! Yay!!!

I highly recommend
    Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
    The Kite Runner tells the story of Amir, an Afghan man living in San Francisco. He receives a call from an old friend of his father's, living in Pakistan, which brings back bittersweet memories of his childhood in Kabul, Afghanistan.

Amir tells of his idyllic childhood in Kabul, where his father enjoyed much financial success and prestige. With him and his father live their servants, Ali and his son, Hassan. Social class separates the two boys from true friendship. However, they share much of their time in boyhood. Hassan respects and reveres Amir, even protects him from neighborhood bullies.

In Amir's twelfth year, he wins the neighborhood kite-fighting tournament, which, he prays, earns his father's respect. All of Amir's childhood, he feels his father wishes for a more manly son. For the tournament, Hassan acts as Amir's

I recently finished reading books by Natsuo Kirino..
    -Out
    Masako Katori and her coworkers Yoshie, Kuniko, and Yayoi all work the night shift at a boxed lunch factory in the Tokyo suburbs. Each of the women has disagreeable elements in her home life from which she longs to escape (unresponsive or unappreciative families, abusive spouses, overextended credit lines, etc.). When Yayoi snaps one night and strangles her good-for-nothing husband Kenji, Masako and the others must dispose of the body. Led by Masako, the women engage in increasingly grisly business to liberate themselves, not only from evidence of their crime, but from the social and financial burdens that have been suffocating them. Just as things start to go right, everything starts to go wrong: at least two of the women commit careless, lazy mistakes that betray and endanger the others, and Masako must find a safe way out of the danger that threatens to destroy her.

-Grotesque
    Two prostitutes have been murdered in Tokyo. Yuriko had been working as a prostitute all her adult life, starting while still at school, where her stunning beauty compensated for what she lacked in intellect and commanded attention from older men. Kazue worked for a blue-chip company and had good career prospects, but was unpopular with colleagues and felt isolated. She chose to walk the streets at night where she hoped to get noticed. Twenty years previously, both women were educated at an elite school for young ladies, and both exhibited exceptional promise prior to their brutal , unnecessary deaths. How and why did this tragedy occur? With narration from Yuriko's embittered, unattractive sister and through the girls' journals and diaries Kirino allows their shocking story to unfurl. As with "Out", "Grotesque" gets under the skin, and Kirino's analysis of the female psyche grips the reader. The extreme need to succeed, and the vicious desire to be accepted in the bewildering environment of modern life is explored here with acute and chilling insight. "Grotesque" is a masterful and haunting achievement.

I'm still waiting for her other books to be translated in english. Her books are about Crime Fiction and they're really good :D at least I think so lol

After Dark by Haruki Murakami
    Alienation, a recurring motif in the works of Murakami, is the central theme in this novel set in metropolitan Tokyo (though this is not explicitly stated) over the course of one night. Main characters include Mari, a 19-year-old student, who is spending the night reading in a Denny's. There she meets Takahashi, a trombone-playing student who loves Curtis Fuller's "Five Spot After Dark" song on Blues-ette; Takahashi knows Mari's sister Eri and insists that the group of them have hung out before. Meanwhile, Eri is being watched in her sleep by someone sinister. Eri also suffers from social withdrawal, a condition often referred to as hikikomori.

Mari crosses ways with a retired female wrestler, now working as a manager in a love hotel (whom Takahashi knows and referred to Mari), a Chinese prostitute who has been beaten and stripped of everything in this same love hotel, and a sadistic computer expert. The story takes place in a world between reality and dream.

He also has a lot of short stories written..I read a lot of those XD he's so awesome

I'll post some of the other books I've read next time XD
    JennyReika
    JennyReika
    Empowered soul

BD-cash : 192520

Post by JennyReika Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:49 am

Comes the Blind Fury
    John Saul

For some reason, I read this book like... years and years ago... at the time, it was the biggest book I had ever read, and it was when I was in 6th Grade...

I am 25 now...

So, that was a long time ago... O.O... a very long time ago... 14 years ago... sheesh

So anyways...
    The point is, its a very great book... and if you like horror & suspense like I do, then youll like this book... for some reason, this book has NEVER left my thoughts... I just think its cause its that good.

Anyways, this is the overview.

A child cried out...in torment. In terror. From out of the past, from out of the mists, a terrible vengeance is born.

A century ago, a gentle blind girl walked the cliffs of Paradise Point. Then the children came—taunting, teasing—until she lost her footing and fell, shrieking her rage to the drowning sea...

Now Michelle has come from Boston to live in the big house on Paradise Point. She is excited about her new life, ready to make new friends...until a hand reaches out of the swirling mists—the hand of a blind child. She is asking for friendship...seeking revenge...whispering her name...
    Anime-A
    Anime-A
    Wandering soul

BD-cash : 7153

Post by Anime-A Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:37 am

The last books i have read where by Ted Dekker the circle trilogy.

Book one "Black"

Its about the deadliest virus in history. theirs No way to stop it but but Thomas Hunter is the worlds only hope but he has been killed ...twice.

"Enter an adrenaline-laced epic where dreams and reality collide - and the fate of two worlds hangs in the balance of one man's choices"

Book two: "Red"

Thomas Hunter takes a small but very trained army of 30,000 against an unstoppable army of a million warriors and face a amazing darkness.

I loved this book so much i read it twice and then once more haha.

Book three: "White"

the fate of two worlds hangs in the balance of one man's choices

OK these books where amazing and i Recommended them to anyone.
    King_Nothing
    King_Nothing
    Empowered soul

BD-cash : 58412

Post by King_Nothing Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:21 am

I recently started reading a series of books about dragons.

Age of Fire series.

1-Dragon Champion: Auron, a rare gray dragon, lives and grows up in a world where dragons are feared and hated.
    2-Dragon Avenger: Wistala, one of Aurons sisters, also lives in the world hating dragons.
    3-Dragon Outcast: their brother lives (not finsished with that one yet.)
    4-Dragon~~~(Cant remember anything.

All by E. E. Knight.

To quote a blurb, 'a bloddy, unsentimental fairy tale'.
    Dark
    Dark
    Vizard
    Vizard

BD-cash : 32556

Post by Dark Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:53 pm

I like "tears of a tiger" by Sharon Draper. It's a story about a bunch of guys who win the prechampionships of there high school team and go out to celebrate they all get drunk and they drive around and they crash and one guy dies and that's how the story begins.
    JennyReika
    JennyReika
    Empowered soul

BD-cash : 192520

Post by JennyReika Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:15 pm

Okay, so I have read a lot of books, ya know?

Like... a lot of books... XD and I was thinking, what is a REALLY great book I've read that I can recommend...
    Well, I already recommended "Comes the Blind Fury" which IS a great read... but....

Well, when it comes down to it, my favorite book of all time is a little bit different from great literature, but it IS a classic.

I guess in the greatness of my mother, we have something in common.

My mothers favorite book has always been...
    "Green Eggs & Ham" by Dr. Suess, and although my mother has also read a good amount of books in her day, she still always loved the lightheartedness of "Green Eggs and Ham"

Perhaps, I follow in her footsteps in that way, as I always go back to my childhood favorite when I am sad, and when I just need to feel better.

So, telling you all... My favorite book of all time has always been...

"Charlotte's Web" by E.B. White.

Why?

Because its just a beautifully simple story that makes you feel better...
    It makes you realize that an animal is so much more, and that friendship transcends so many things.

A young girl befriending a runt who would be killed... a pig who is going to be killed, and then befriended by a spider, who also keeps him from getting killed...

Its just a beautiful story, and the character of Charlotte is just so beautiful as well...

A spider who can read and write, and can do it with eloquence...

I love Charlotte's Web... so much that my paperback fell apart, and my mom had to buy it for me in hardback...
    I used to read it 3 times a day.

Also, one of the songs from the movie is striking to me... its my moms ringtone actually when she calls me, and the lyrics always make me cry, and its one of the songs I hope to sing to my children if I ever have any, and of course.... I will be reading them Charlotte's Web.
    King_Nothing
    King_Nothing
    Empowered soul

BD-cash : 58412

Post by King_Nothing Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:05 am

I also have to recommend the Rangers Apprentice series. Its about a boy named Will who is trained kind of like spec ops. I cant remeber much without revealing too much.
    duageyl
    duageyl
    1st Division
    1st Division

BD-cash : 6616

Post by duageyl Tue May 05, 2009 3:19 am

For you fantasy fans read anything from the DragonLance Series (Most notable series is the Dragon Lance Chronicles.) or Forgotten Realms, basically anything published by Wizards of the Coast owned publishing companies, and can't forget your Warhammer (where the deadly orcs came from), and Warhammer 40K (40000 years after the Empire is successfully founded.)
    Loli Gaga
    Loli Gaga
    Vizard
    Vizard

8th Division Oyabun
    Ocho Espada

Post by Loli Gaga Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:37 pm

A Certain Slant of Light - Laura Whitcomb

Read it or i shall grate you to shreds!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 8:26 pm